OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1) Description of the Contest: The ZoolensSM Photography Project Contest is designed to encourage eligible Miami-Dade County middle school students to use their creativity to photograph wildlife at Zoo Miami and submit their entries with their own artistic interpretation of the animals in their habitat. Students participating in the contest will be able to submit photos for judging. Judges will choose the winning entries and prizes will be awarded in accordance with these Official Rules.
2) Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Mercantil Commercebank, N.A., a nationally chartered financial institution and one of the largest privately held banks in South Florida, with headquarters in Coral Gables, Florida.
3) Binding Agreement: In order to enter the Contest, you must agree to these Official Rules (“Rules”). The Rules consist of the terms and conditions on this page and the Student Entry Form and Consent Form (“Contest Materials”). If you are a minor, you must obtain permission from your parent and/or legal guardian and your parent and/or legal guardian must also agree to these Rules on their and your own behalf before you can enter this Contest. Because you will be bound by these Rules and these Rules will form a legally binding agreement with respect to this Contest, please read them carefully. You may not submit an entry to the Contest for the prizes described in these Rules unless you agree to these Rules. You agree that submitting an entry photograph for this Contest and/or a submission of an entry in the Contest constitutes your agreement to these Rules.
4) Eligibility: The Contest is open to current, Middle School students at any Miami-Dade County public school, or Miami-Dade County private school. The Students (“Entrants”) are required to have submitted their photographic entry in accordance with these Rules by 5:30 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on Friday, November 9, 2012. All Entrants must be U.S. residents, must have obtained their parents’ or legal guardians’ permission before entering, and their parents and/or legal guardians must have consented to be bound, on their children’s and on their own behalf, to these Rules by agreeing to the Consent Form when submitting the entry photograph. The Entrants must also agree to participate in any Media Activity, as outlined in Paragraph 11 below. The children of employees of Mercantil Commercebank, its affiliates, and any representatives or agencies of Mercantil Commercebank or other persons professionally connected with the Contest are not eligible to participate. This Contest is void where prohibited.
5) Contest Period: The Contest begins at 10:00:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on or about Saturday, September 29, 2012, and ends at 5:30 pm on Friday, November 9, 2012.
6) How To Enter: Contest Materials and instructions on how to participate in the Zoolens Photography Project Contest and how to submit entries will be provided by Mercantil Commercebank to Miami-Dade Public Schools and participating private schools. Contest materials and instructions will also be available online at www.zoolens.com. To enter, students must follow the stated contest submittal process of either Miami-Dade Public Schools or respective private school, which includes a completed Parent/Guardian Consent form signed by both student and parent or guardian. Students may submit their entry to their teacher, along with appropriate contact information on the photo, including the name and description of photo. The teacher, as per School Board policy, will provide the photo and consent form to Mercantil Commercebank. Students may also submit their photos at any Mercantil Commercebank banking center location, during the Bank’s hours of operation. The entry must be accompanied by a completed Consent Form signed by the parent or legal guardian. Students may submit their entries beginning on or about 10:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time (EST) Saturday, September 29, 2012, and no later than 5:30 pm on Friday, November 9, 2012. All entries will become property of Mercantil Commercebank. Only submissions submitted in the manner outlined will be accepted as valid. Submissions must also be complete (as determined by Mercantil Commercebank), be in English (unless otherwise specified), and must be received by Mercantil Commercebank, at the designated Contest submission email address, no later than 5:30 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on November 9, 2012, to be considered eligible entries. Mercantil Commercebank accepts no responsibility for submissions that are lost, delayed, damaged or rendered undeliverable, howsoever caused. All intellectual property rights in any entries that belonged to the Entrants will remain with the Entrants, but Submissions will become the property of Mercantil Commercebank, and will not be returned after the Contest.
7) Submission Guidelines:
8) Conduct: By entering the Contest, you agree to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules, which will also be posted at www.zoolens.com (“the Website”). Failure to comply with these Rules may result in disqualification from the Contest. You further agree to comply with and be bound by the decisions of the judges, which are final and binding in all respects. Mercantil Commercebank reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Entrant it finds to be: (1) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; (2) violating the Official Rules; (3) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any Entrant concerning identity, postal address, ownership of right or non-compliance with the Rules may result in the immediate elimination of an Entrant from the Contest. Mercantil Commercebank further reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes upon any law or otherwise does not comply with these Rules. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY PROPERTY OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, MERCANTIL COMMERCEBANK RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- All photos must be taken at Zoo Miami using the student’s own or a borrowed camera. Free student admission passes to Zoo Miami (valid September 29, 2012 through November 9, 2012) are included in this packet.
- All photos must include at least one animal.
- All photos must be the original work of the student. No reproductions of existing photos, copyrighted materials, or the work of others may be submitted.
- Students must create a title for their photo that reflects the artistic composition of the subject matter.
- All entries must be accompanied by a signed Parent/Legal Guardian Consent Form. (Forms are included in this packet and available at www.zoolens.com.)
- The parent or guardian of students who submit photos into the contest are asked to complete the Parent/Legal Guardian Consent included in this packet and available at www.zoolens.com. This form transfers all rights in and to the art work, including ownership and copyrights, to Mercantil Commercebank. The art work shall become the property of the Mercantil Commercebank upon submission to be used in such manner and for such purpose as the Bank deems appropriate.
- Schools may choose to submit photos on behalf of students. Or, students may submit their photo entry into the contest by bringing it to any Mercantil Commercebank banking center.
- No more than one entry per student.
- Photos may be entered into the contest in one of four ways:
- The preferred method to submit photos is via email. Each entry must be submitted in a separate email message to: email@example.com. The email message must contain the title of the photo and attachments: 1) the photo 2) the Parent/Legal Guardian Consent.
- Photo contest entries may be submitted on a CD. The CD must include the name of the student and the title of the photo. The print must be accompanied by a Parent/Legal Guardian Consent.
- Photo contest entries may be submitted on a flash drive. There must be a file on the flash drive with the name of the student and title of the photo. The flash drive must be accompanied by a Parent/Legal Guardian Consent.
- Photo contest entries may also be submitted as a print that is a minimum of 5” x 7” and no larger than 8 ½” x 11”. The photo must include the name of the student and the title of the photo. The print must be accompanied by a Parent/Legal Guardian Consent.
- Entries submitted on a CD, flash drive or print may be dropped off at any Mercantil Commercebank banking center (www.mercantilcb.com).
9) Judging and Selection of Winners: All entries will be judged by a panel of independent “Expert Jurors” and Mercantil Commercebank employees based on the following judging criteria: 1) artistic merit, 2) technical merit, 3) composition, 4) appropriateness of the supporting title in capturing essence of photo, and 5) whether the submissions adhered to these Rules. Decisions of the judges are final and binding. In the event there are not enough eligible entries, not all prizes will be awarded. If any winner is not able for whatever reason to accept his/her prize, then Mercantil Commercebank reserves the right to award the prize to another Entrant or school (as applicable). There will be a Grand Prize, 2nd and 3rd Place winner, along with 10 Honorable Mention photos which will be named.
10) Prizes: The First or Grand Prize winner will receive a $2,000 Mercantil Commercebank Savings Account, a Behind the Scenes Tour of the Zoo with Award Winning Wildlife Photographer – Ron Magill, a Student Membership in the North American Nature Photography Association, exposure in the Mercantil Commercebank’s online Finalist Gallery, e-Newsletter, mention in the ZSF e-Newsletter Toucan Talk and exposure on the Zoo Miami website. The Second Place Prize winner will receive a $1,500 Mercantil Commercebank Savings Account, a Student Membership in the North American Nature Photography Association, exposure in the Mercantil Commercebank’s online Finalist Gallery, and mention in the Zoological Society of Florida e-Newsletter "Toucan Talk". The Third Place Prize winner will receive a $1,000 Mercantil Commercebank Savings Account, a Student Membership in the North American Nature Photography Association, exposure in the Mercantil Commercebank’s online Finalist Gallery and mention in the Zoological Society of Florida e-Newsletter "Toucan Talk". There will be ten (10) Honorable Mention prize winners who will receive a $100 Mercantil Commercebank Savings Account. There is no cash alternative and the prizes must be taken as offered. Mercantil Commercebank reserves the right to substitute prize(s) of an equivalent value should the prizes become unavailable for any reason. In order to receive Mercantil Commercebank Savings Account prize, the parent and/or legal guardian who opens the account with the minor must also be a citizen or legal resident of the United States and provide necessary account opening information.
11) Media Activity: By participating in this Contest, you agree and hereby grant Mercantil Commercebank permission to use, copy, modify and make available your submissions to the public (with or without attribution to you) for any purpose, such as, but not limited to, press and media communications, without further compensation to you. You also agree to participate in any media or promotional activity regarding the Contest. If you are a winner, you agree that Mercantil Commercebank may use your name and likeness to administer and promote the Contest and to conduct media interviews and promotional events.
13) General Conditions: This Contest is governed by the laws of the State of Florida, United States. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. By participating in this Contest, you agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by Mercantil Commercebank’s decisions, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Return of any prize/prize notification may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Any potential winner who cannot be contacted within three (3) days of attempted first notification will forfeit his or her prize. Potential prize winners may be required to sign an I.R.S. Form W-9, and provide any additional information that may be required by Mercantil Commercebank. Failure to comply within this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Mercantil Commercebank is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prizes. Entrants certify that their entry is original and that they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted entry and that they have the right to submit the entry in the Contest. They also acknowledge that the photo submitted has not been retouched or digitally altered.
14) No Recourse to Judicial or Other Procedures: To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and you expressly waive any and all such rights.
15) LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU INDEMNIFY AND AGREE TO KEEP INDEMNIFIED MERCANTIL COMMERCEBANK AT ALL TIMES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY, ACTIONS, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, DAMAGES, COSTS AND EXPENSES FOR OR IN RESPECT OF WHICH MERCANTIL COMMERCEBANK WILL OR MAY BECOME LIABLE BY REASON OF OR RELATED OR INCIDENTAL TO ANY ACT, DEFAULT OR OMISSION BY YOU UNDER THESE RULES INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION RESULTING FROM OR IN RELATION TO ANY BREACH, NON-OBSERVANCE, ACT OR OMISSION WHETHER NEGLIGENT OR OTHERWISE, PURSUANT TO THESE RULES BY YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU AGREE TO HOLD MERCANTIL COMMERCEBANK, ITS RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND ASSIGNS HARMLESS FOR ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED OR CLAIMED TO BE CAUSED BY PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST AND/OR USE OR ACCEPTANCE OF ANY PRIZE WON.
16) Third Parties: Mercantil Commercebank is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, including Miami-Dade County Public or Private School that might prevent you from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Contest.
17) Intellectual Property: By registering for the Contest and/or submitting an entry you agree explicitly that all components of your photo and supporting statement are indeed original creations. Any intellectual property infringement, misuse or plagiarism of another person’s work in any form or state will result in immediate disqualification and forfeiture of eligibility to receive all awards, recognition and prizes. You also agree to allow Mercantil Commercebank to make public statements regarding any disqualifications and any grounds for disqualification.
18) Entries: Mercantil Commercebank is not responsible for theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of Contest materials. Mercantil Commercebank is not responsible for tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest. Mercantil Commercebank reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
19) Severability: If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
20) Winner List: The names of the winners will be posted on the Zoolens Website at the end of the Contest.
All rights reserved. Mercantil Commercebank and the Zoolens logo are trademarks of Mercantil Commercebank, N.A. All other company and product names may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.